Butter Chicken Recipe is a popular Indian dish. It is also known as murgh makhani in Hindi (meaning “butter chicken”) and prince among Indians. This popular Indian dish is made with chunks of chicken coated in a spicy, creamy tomato sauce containing plenty of butter. Did you know that the word “makhani” refers to anything that has been flavored with green cardamom? The word comes from the Persian makhānī, which means something that has been flavored with green cardamom, usually coffee or tea. In this article we will tell you everything you need to know about butter chicken – from its interesting origins and preparation, to several variations on the recipe and our personal favorite recipes for making it at home.
What is Butter Chicken?
Butter chicken is a popular Indian dish made with chunks of chicken coated in a spicy, creamy tomato sauce containing plenty of butter. It is a combination of flavors from both Indian and Pakistani cuisine. The dish is also known by other names such as murgh makhani, murg tikka masala etc. Butter chicken is a rich and aromatic dish with a delicious creamy texture. It is usually served with naan or roti (Indian style of flatbread). The dish is so delicious that it has become very popular in western countries too. The origin of this dish is said to be from the Punjab region of Northern India. The word “makhani” refers to anything that has been flavored with green cardamom. The word comes from the Persian makhānī, which means something that has been flavored with green cardamom, usually coffee or tea.
How to make butter chicken recipe?
To make the best butter chicken at home, you will need – chunks of chicken, butter, yogurt or cream, tomatoes or tomato puree, garlic and ginger or garlic paste, coriander powder, cumin powder, paprika, garam masala, salt and pepper, green cardamom, lemon juice. First, marinate the chicken with yogurt, garlic and ginger or garlic paste, coriander powder, cumin powder, paprika, garam masala, salt, pepper, butter and green cardamom. Then, cook the marinated chicken in a pan until the chicken is tender. In a saucepan, add tomato puree and chopped garlic. Add water to make a thick sauce. Add salt, lemon juice, coriander powder and cumin powder. Mix well and cook until the sauce becomes thick. Put the chicken in a serving bowl. Pour the sauce on top of it. Garnish with chopped coriander and serve with naan or roti.
Butter Chicken Variations
– Indian Butter Chicken: Indian butter chicken is made by cooking the chicken in a rich tomato sauce. It has a mild taste as compared to the butter chicken served in restaurants abroad.
– Pakistani Butter Chicken: Pakistani butter chicken has a strong, spicy and tangy taste. The chicken is cooked in a tomato sauce that has been enriched with cream and butter.
– Malayali Butter Chicken: This is a variation of Indian butter chicken with an added twist of coconut and curry leaves.
– Kerala Style Butter Chicken: This is an Indian butter chicken variation from the state of Kerala, where it is known as “Malayala Murg.”
– Goan Butter Chicken: The Goan version of this dish is made with coconut and a lot less spices. It is a tad milder than the rest.
– Kolkata Butter Chicken: The Kolkata version is a unique blend of Bengali and Punjabi cuisine. It is very mild in terms of spiciness.
– Indo-Chinese Butter Chicken: This is an Indo-Chinese dish with an Indian twist. It contains egg noodles, butter, herbs and spices along with the chicken.
– Indo-Italian Butter Chicken: This is an Indo-Italian dish with an Indian twist. It has a blend of Indian herbs and spices.
– Indo-Mexican Butter Chicken: This is an Indo-Mexican dish with an Indian twist. It has a blend of Mexican herbs and spices.
Tips for Making the Best Butter Chicken recipe at Home
– Use a good quality and fresh tomato puree for the best taste in the butter chicken. – Use fresh spices, as they give the best taste. – Use low fat yogurt to prevent the cream from curdling. – Use fresh and high-quality spices such as cardamom and clove. – Avoid adding too much water while making the sauce, as it will make the dish watery.
Butter chicken recipe is a rich and aromatic Indian dish that is so delicious that it has become very popular in western countries too. If you like Indian food, then you should definitely try this amazing dish. We hope you enjoy it! Now that you know all about butter chicken, it’s time to get cooking! Enjoy this popular Indian dish by following our recipe. We hope you like it!