As far as street cuisine goes, momos are famous in northern India. Also known as Dim Sum, these are flour-based dumplings filled with meat. This dish is suitable for vegetarians and vegans alike. You can make these quick veggie momos from scratch using two folding techniques.
I’m going to share a recipe for vegetarian momos with you today. It features a variety of fillings, including meat (chicken, lamb), vegetables, paneer, tofu, and so on. At the stalls, you’ll discover a wide variety of momos to choose from.
I’ve used carrots, onions, cabbage, and capsicum in this dish. These include mushrooms, green beans, baby corn, and bean sprouts. They’ve been finely chopped with a knife. Use a food processor to get the job done swiftly.
How to make Veg Momos recipe step by step?
Let me lead you through the steps of making a Veg Momos for your family right here in this video. It is up to you to follow our directions and cook this cuisine for your family in your kitchen.
Ingredients of Veg Momos recipe:
- One teaspoon of oil
- Finely cut two tiny spring onions (scallions) – save the greens for later use.
- 3 to 4 small-sized garlic cloves finely cut 1.5 to 1.75 cups chopped mixed vegetables.
- Optional: 12 cups of chopped white button mushrooms
- 1 tbsp. soy sauce, or more if necessary
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
Making process of Veg Momos recipe:
- In a steamer, electric cooker, or pressure cooker, bring 1.5 to 2 cups of water to a boil. Bring the water to a rolling boil.
- Momos should be placed in a greased steamer pan or idli molds with enough space between them to not touch. Steaming momos in a pressure cooker or Instant Pot is detailed in the notes.
- Five to six minutes of steaming should do the trick.
- Steaming the dough too long can result in the dense and dry dough.
- Depending on the momos’ cover thickness, the steaming time may vary.
- The momo dough should not be sticky when you touch it. When this is complete, the momos will be transparent.
- The amount of time it takes to cook depends on the strength of the heat, the type of pan, and the type of steamer.
- They’re ready to serve when they’re removed and placed on a serving platter. Spring onion greens can be used as a garnish.
- Serve schezwan sauce, tomato-chili sauce, or chili sauce with your veg momos. Serve it alongside a red chili garlic chutney, if desired.
Veg Momos benefits:
In India, momos have risen to the top of the street food chain over the past decade. Every aspect of this supposedly healthy food, from the ingredients used to prepare it to how the dish is prepared and the sauces accompanying it, is devoid of any nutritional value.
Is it possible to lose weight by eating vegetarian momos?
If you stick to eating steamed wheat momos, you may incorporate them into your weight-loss plan without feeling deprived. However, keep in mind that they should be consumed as part of a meal rather than in addition to it. Because it contains both vitamins and minerals (vegetables) and protein (chicken and paneer), it is considered a healthy option if you eat in moderation.
What are the reasons why momos are bad for your health?
Most momos include monosodium glutamate (MSG), which not only promotes obesity but also a slew of other health problems such as neurological dysfunction, sweating, chest pain, nausea, and palpitations. Momos are also high in sodium.
Is it okay to eat momos on a ketogenic diet?
The steamed dumplings have won many devotees all around the country. Momos are available in various flavors, but the basic recipe calls for maida, which serves as the foundation of the dish. Due to the high carbohydrate content of maida, dumplings are not a good choice for a ketogenic diet.
What is the calorie count of a single momo?
It has been estimated that a single piece of momo has approximately 35 calories on average. A plate of momos will typically contain between 5 and 8 momos. This compensates for about 175 to 280 calories.